Yeah! Yeah!:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC vs. Marvel

Sage

Status
    Rupees
    2,469 (0 Banked)

DC vs. Marvel

Disclaimer: this is NOT an actual game that has been announced.

Most comic book fans usually lean toward either DC or Marvel in terms of comic universes. Both have had their share of fighting games as well as crossovers with other games. Incidentally, it was reversed for the two. Marvel started off as it's own fighting games by Capcom before being mostly involved in crossovers with Capcom franchises, whereas DC started off with a crossover with Mortal Kombat before Neatherrealm Studios made a DC-focused fighting game series called Injustice. If there's one fighting game crossover that has yet to happen, it's a crossover between the two comic book universes. Yoshinori Ono, Producer for the Street Fighter series, has long desired to have a crossover between the two and while it's likely something all comic book fans would love to see, getting the two together to make it work, especially considering the two are now owned by multimedia giants, is looking less and less likely. The only crossover I think I ever saw between the two was a short-lived set of comics crossing the characters into a single story.

But, reality has never stopped fans from dreaming and there have been games released and announced in the last decade nobody thought would come, so one could say it's not impossible. So, in the off-chance this ever does happen, I want to have a discussion about how you would want this crossover to be. Would you want something fast-paced and over-the-top like the Marvel vs. Capcom series or would you want something more grounded and interactive as Injustice? Who would you want to see in a crossover like this? Who would be your dream matchups between the two?

Note to Moderators: I put this Topic in the Alternative Gaming Section because I felt that this type of crossover would likely be on Sony and Microsoft platforms. Considering this is a game that is likely not happening anytime soon, I've debated if I should have put this in the Lounge. Did I do anything wrong?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Thread Starter

The One

Status
    Rupees
    501,373 (302 Banked)
    Items Post Glow & Shadow
    Users Country Flag
    While I’m pretty much awful at most fighting games, I do generally prefer the over the top nature of Marvel vs. Capcom. As for who I’d like to see, I think it would be best to just lift the Marvel roster from ultimate marvel vs. Capcom 3, throw in a few newcomers from infinite, and do pretty much the same for DC: the roster from both Injustice games, minus the guest characters. I suppose my dream match up would be spider man vs. Batman.

Sage

Status
    Rupees
    2,469 (0 Banked)
    I'd like something of a cross between the two gameplay styles. I want the over-the-top gameplay of Marvel vs. Capcom, but I also want the interactive stage elements of Injustice. It would actually make it feel like a real battle between superheroes and supervillains.

The One

Status
    Rupees
    501,373 (302 Banked)
    Items Post Glow & Shadow
    Users Country Flag
    Oh yeah, the interactive stage elements in the injustice games were a nice touch.

Knight

Status
    Rupees
    327 (0 Banked)
    I would totally love this. However, my worry is Marvel's roster. Since Disney is in control of a lot of Marvel properties, they restrict many characters across media. Look at MvC Infinite. They took off the X-Men despite them literally being the reason MvC even became a popular series. Fox and Sony own other Marvel property, so diversity is an issue with Marvel.
    On DC's side, the roster seems fine based on the MK vs DC or Injustice games.

In terms of playstyle, I just hope it retains a more skill based button input layout. Not a fan of auto combos in fighting games.
    That said, a base roster of 28-32 sounds fair (half being of each company).

Sage

Status
    Rupees
    2,469 (0 Banked)
    Actually, I heard that Disney is in the process of purchasing 21st Century Fox. This would bring the X-Men and Fantastic Four, as well as related characters like Deadpool, back under Disney's full control. That's sort of why Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 features characters from the entire Marvel universe, including Wolverine. I agree that Disney should not be meddling in Marvel's affairs with regards to what fans would want to see in a project like this, but so long as large multimedia companies like Disney and Warner Bros. exist (who own Marvel and DC respectively), we're going to have issues like that. Marvel even rewrote Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's backstories so that they could use them outside of the X-Men. It doesn't appear that Disney has as public of a war with Sony Pictures as they did 21st Century Fox though, so I don't think there would be too many issues with Spiderman.

The only potential issue I would have in terms of roster decision is potential overlap of character abilities. A good chunk of the characters between both sides do have their differences, such as DC's Superman having Heat Vision and Freeze Breath while Marvel's Wonderman can emit Ionic Energy Blasts. However, then there's the potential of Green Arrow and Hawkeye, who while complete opposites in terms of personality are very similar in terms of characteristics and abilities. In terms of who I'd want, I would like to see some of the lesser characters get some exposure, such as Terra, Red Star, and Mister Terrific from DC and Havok, Moon Knight, and Echo from Marvel. One thing I would really want to see though is Shazam from DC and Captain Marvel from Marvel having a special conversation where Shazam remarks how he had to change his name because of Captain Marvel.

Here's a question: considering DC owns WildStorm Comics, would characters from their comics such as the WildC.A.T.s be used? It seems unlikely as the last thing that came from them before the re-launch back in 2017 was a game based on WildC.A.T.s back in 1995 for the SNES.

Knight

Status
    Rupees
    327 (0 Banked)
    I wouldn't worry about characters being too similar with powers. Take Injustice 2 for example. It has Superman and Supergirl who have identical powers, but their moveset is drastically different. So if we want Dr Fate vs Dr Strange, they won't be clones if they have unique movesets. This is why fighting fans absolutely adored Capcom vs SNK 2 because although many characters are extremely similar across their rival company, the movesets are very unique. Bear in mind the game had over 40 playable characters.

As for Wild Storm comics, it is possible, but from a financial standpoint, DC would want to focus on more well established series of their own. However, I do agree giving some spotlight to lesser known characters is needed. Toss away Superman and give me the Wonder Twins

Sage

Status
    Rupees
    2,469 (0 Banked)
    I find it funny on how the Wonder Twins are the only creation of Hanna-Barbera's that actually became used heavily by DC themselves, to the point that new comic series based on this is supposed to launch this month. A handful of the others, namely Samurai, Apache Chief, and Black Vulcan, were referenced in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon going by the names Wind Dragon, Long Shadow, and Juice respectively, but El Dorado was pretty much ignored until Young Justice: Invasion. Oh long forgotten superheroes created for racial diversity: you shall be missed (which is funny because the only reason why Hanna-Barbera created Black Vulcan was because DC was having disputes with Black Lightning's creator, Tony Isabella).

- - - Updated - - -

During my downtime at work today I decided to make a mock roster of what a game like this would have. The limitation was 40 characters, 20 on each side with 15 being superheroes and 5 being supervillains. After attempting to do this myself I do not envy whoever would have to make the roster choices for a dream project like this, and this is actually more than you suggested: imagine how hard it would be with around 30. The reason why it was hard picking the roster was that it was an attempt to get the important characters while considering some of the lesser characters for a project. The sad part is, I left out a number of characters because I didn't have the space for everyone and it doesn't matter who is left out, someone would get their feelings hurt.

The One

Status
    Rupees
    501,373 (302 Banked)
    Items Post Glow & Shadow
    Users Country Flag
    That's kind of the problem with any comic book fighting game: regardless of who gets in, there will always be one person that's disappointed about a certain character not getting in.

Sage

Status
    Rupees
    2,469 (0 Banked)
    That's the case of any crossover game, regardless of whether it's based on a comic book or not. Lest we forget the moans of certain fans before Super Smash Bros Ultimate's release.