Thanks Thanks:  0
Yeah! Yeah!:  5

Thread: Generation VIII Expectations

Sage

Status
    Rupees
    2,469 (0 Banked)

Generation VIII Expectations

So sometime later this year we are going to have the 8th Generation Pokemon released on Switch. Since the release is planned to be this year, this means we'll likely get our first look at the upcoming games within the next couple of months. The past couple of mainline games were announced in extremely short (between 5-8 minutes) Nintendo Directs that were focused on the game's announcement, while the Let's Go games were announced at a special Pokemon event in Japan with the rest of the world getting the trailer in various languages. Regardless of how the titles are announced, they're coming this year and we will likely hear something about them soon. That brings me to this Topic and something I want to ask the Pokemon fans on MV Haven: what are your hopes and expectations for Gen VIII?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Thread Starter

Dreamer

Status
    Trophies
    Rupees
    401,294 (591,000 Banked)
    Items Post Glow & ShadowColoured Post StyleShadow UsertitleGlowing UsertitleColoured UsertitleUnderlined UsertitleItalic UsertitleShadow UsernameGlowing UsernameColoured Username
    I dunno really. The Pokemon series has gone on for so long that I'm not sure what more they can add in game mechanics. Obviously I expect a bunch of new Pokemon, and I assume they'll bring back Pokemon Abilities and Held Items even though the Let's Go games ditched those.

I guess my biggest hope is that they don't fully adopt the "Go" catch system as I really like being able to battle wild Pokemon. If they really feel the need to keep the motion control catching in the game at least make us wear the Pokemon down first in battle. It just felt like something was missing when you couldn't fight them, part of the fun is figuring out how to get the Pokemon down to that little bit of health without dropping them, using the right strategy or Pokemon for the situation and so on.

Sage

Status
    Rupees
    2,469 (0 Banked)
    What I want is a well-paced main story with a sizable enough postgame. While I could hope for a focus on new Pokémon over old like Gen V, as well as each game having drastic differences to make each game unique such as different enemy Teams in Gen III or distinct areas and music like Gen V, most seem to dislike those ideas, especially the former. So what I'm asking for is solid games that will keep me playing.

The One

Status
    Rupees
    501,373 (302 Banked)
    Items Post Glow & Shadow
    Users Country Flag
    I’ve always had kind of low expectations for Pokémon games: as long as the game is fun, the music is good, and there’s some sort of post game content, I’m happy. Honestly, and this is where our opinions may differ, I’ve never really cared about story in the Pokémon games. I do enjoy a good story in games, but story has never been a driving factor for me in Pokémon games. It’s always been the fun gameplay.

Newcomer

Status
    Rupees
    5 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperUmberto View Post
    What I want is a well-paced main story with a sizable enough postgame. While I could hope for a focus on new Pokémon over old like Gen V, as well as each game having drastic differences to make each game unique such as different enemy Teams in Gen III or distinct areas and music like Gen V, most seem to dislike those ideas, especially the former. So what I'm asking for is solid games that will keep me playing.
    cool story

Paladin

Status
    Trophies
    Rupees
    1,079 (62,430 Banked)
    Users Country Flag
    A Pokémon Direct has just been announced for tomorrow at 9am ET-6am PT. It's only seven minutes, so looks like the Gen VII reveal is upon us.

Sage

Status
    Rupees
    2,469 (0 Banked)
    I know. I just made a Topic about the Direct's announcement. I know it'll only be about 7 minutes long, but please show us the game and not just the titles.

The One

Status
    Rupees
    501,373 (302 Banked)
    Items Post Glow & Shadow
    Users Country Flag
    I still remember being massively disappointed in the Direct where they revealed sun and moon: there was very little actual gameplay, just a rundown of some new additions.